IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
For those using Anim8or to model their add-ons, a new version has been released, version 0.98.

R. Steven Glanville said:
Welcome to the home page of Anim8or. Anim8or is a 3D modeling and character animation program that I have written over the past couple of years, not as a commercial endeavor, but because I love 3D graphics, animation, and programming. While it is far from a complete professional level application like 3DStudio MAX or Maya, I believe that it has enough capability to be of use to others.
Version v0.98 is now available with many new features including a ray tracer for making photo-realistic images. Anim8or has come a long way since the first release called v0.1. There are still may areas that need improvement, primarily the renderer, but it's getting close to what I had originally imagined as the magic v1.0. I don't plan on stopping there, but it'll be a nice milestone along the way.

Change list:

There are major new features are:
- A ray tracer render called ART for Anim8or Ray Tracer. You can use it to render all Anim8or materials plus reflections, transparency with glass like index of refraction effects, glossy surfaces and more. Here is a link to some initial documentation on how to access these new features: ART Raytracer
- Autosave that perodically saves a copy of your project.
- You can copy and paste materials with Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl_Shift-V.
- .MTL file input and output support (for .OBJ import and exported files)
- Holding the Control key down when selecting shapes in an Object or faces, points or edges in the Point Editor allows you to click-drag the mouse to select or deselect multiple things. If this is popular I may make it the default and use the Control key to select just one thing (as it does now).
- Add user attributes to Objects, Figures, Elements and Scenes. These are typed, named variables of int, float, point, orientation or string type. For example you can define a float attribute called mass and set it to 10.5. Currently they are only useful by programs that parse the .an8 format but will be accessable from ASL scripts in the future. You define these with the Object→Attributes command.
- Holding the Control key down when using the Cut Faces tool user only cuts selected faces.
- A new Edit→MovePoints command in the Point Editor that moves sepected points by a precise amount.
- Visible light frustums is the working views when lights are selected.
- Improved UV tool. Each shape in an object can define it's own UV widget that does planar, cylindrical, sperical or normal projecton of texture coordinates onto that shape. You can interactively move, rotate and scale the widgent in UV edit mode. Also UV widgets are saved with the shapes so that the UV tool doesn't force you to restart from scratch wach time you use it.
- Export binormals to the .an8 format when Export Normals is set (and bump maps are used fore that shape).
- Add Cubemap Backgrounds to Scenes. Any cube map texture can be used as a background in a scene.
- Movie rendering size is saved as a project parameter.

http://www.anim8or.com/index.html

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Awesome! Glad to see development is not dead on that tool.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, the v0.98 beta was around since some time, and I must say that the UV tool improvement is really helpful !

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I fiddled around with it last night. Although it's pretty much the same, it works much better with my graphics card/Win 7 setup than the previous version.

I'm "better" at anim8tor than I am with Wings3d or Blender because that's what I learned on initially. So I'm happy to see that this cleaned up a few things that I had trouble with graphically.

To explain what I mean by troubles, if I had pointview selected and tried to mass select a large group of points, the select box never would display correctly. I would get a box on top of a box on top of a box etc. This version doesn't do that, so the 'cruiser is happy :)

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's always better, when the 'cruiser is happy. :hello:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Ah good old Anim8or -- the perfect balance between usability and ease of use and price.

I thought for sure it was abandoned by now...