Mr Martian

Orbinaut/Addon dev/Donator
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Mr Martian submitted a new addon:

New MFD Maps - Inner Planets - Updated/new MFD vector maps for the inner planets and moons

View attachment 37961

This is a simple addon which adds and updates MFD maps for the inner planets, their moons, and Ceres and Vesta.

The download includes both hi-res and low-res options, including an optional low-res Earth map. Note the hi-res Mars and moons are the same as my previous addon here.

If people like this addon and want to see more, please let me know in the...

Read more about this addon...

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Thanks for the new maps!
This time I tried the low-res versions first. I think they are fully sufficient on a global scale.

When zooming in, the simplification of some coastlines or feature lines become visible,
but they are still sufficient to find my way around.

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Thanks for the new maps!
This time I tried the low-res versions first. I think they are fully sufficient on a global scale.

When zooming in, the simplification of some coastlines or feature lines become visible,
but they are still sufficient to find my way around.
Thanks Francisdrake! I know exactly what you mean. I added a resolution reduction tool to the program I’ve developed which I used to generate the low-res maps. Just in the process of optimising it. Ideally I’d like to reduce those really obvious single-lines and triangle/diamonds. Once that’s evened out I think it’ll be ready to release.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Thanks.
Just a question, maybe someone knows it: can we be sure that the "coast.vec" file name is used only for the Earth, whereas the "contour.vec" file names are for all other planets and moons (except Earth)?

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
@Mr Martian, sorry, I've already found the meaning of these files in your VecMapper V1.1 which I just happened to see. (Sadly I couldn't try the tool because its window resolution is bigger than my one, so I can't see the whole window. And my map image isn't visible in the tool, maybe the *.jpg format is unsupported.)

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
In case you are looking for more work of your VecMapper: ;)

Could you create maps of Jupiters Gallilean moons?
I found a Europa map on the Eso site. It has good contrasts, so it may be usable to trace surface feature lines.

europa-geologic-map.jpg

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
In case you are looking for more work of your VecMapper: ;)

Could you create maps of Jupiters Gallilean moons?
I found a Europa map on the Eso site. It has good contrasts, so it may be usable to trace surface feature lines.

Thanks Francisdrake! I tried to use this map but the edges of the lines don't quite create the best result, so I used bump maps superimposed over surface textures for reference. It's actually more challenging than I imagined to make realistic but still-recognisable maps, Mars being the outlier with its extreme and uniquely-distinct topography. The four Jovian moons are uploaded here, see what you think.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
That is better than expected! Thank you for your effort!
I just tried Europa in HiRes. It definitely helps to find the way around. Will try the other moons also.

I use the map to locate potentially interesting landing sites on the surface.

0627a.jpg