T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi. Try this mesh.

Last edited:

Dambuster

Reaction score
Thanks, but that didn't work. I'm going to download a different programme and see if I can fix it from there (I suspect that texture problems may be causing this...)

UPDATE: I've gotten the mesh into Orbiter successfully and scaled as well. Animations and flight dynamics etc etc will come next/later.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Nice conversion...but I think is little to big...?!
And to dark too.

Seems to be about 10 times larger as it should be.

Dambuster

Reaction score
Seems to be about 10 times larger as it should be.

Yes, it was. I'll upload an updated mesh later tonight probably. I've managed to work out the animations on the ailerons, and next I'll probably try to work on the elevators/cockpit 'hatch'.

Also, I'm at a dilemma: should I keep the vessel size larger (I'm using spacecraft3) and have it display reentry flames properly (but then it doesn't display the cockpit correctly), or should I make it far smaller, to the point where the reentry flames barely show up, but the cockpit works? Even better, does anyone know of any ways of getting around this?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, I'm at a dilemma: should I keep the vessel size larger (I'm using spacecraft3) and have it display reentry flames properly (but then it doesn't display the cockpit correctly), or should I make it far smaller, to the point where the reentry flames barely show up, but the cockpit works? Even better, does anyone know of any ways of getting around this?

You have a misconception there:

The size parameter of orbiter vessels does not scale the mesh, but instead tells orbiter, how large the spacecraft is - the mesh is only a visual representation.

You could make a 800m spacecraft and a 40m size, making the reentry flames appear inside the mesh... etc.

Dambuster

Reaction score
You have a misconception there:

The size parameter of orbiter vessels does not scale the mesh, but instead tells orbiter, how large the spacecraft is - the mesh is only a visual representation.

You could make a 800m spacecraft and a 40m size, making the reentry flames appear inside the mesh... etc.

I understand what you're saying (and I think I phrased my previous post badly), but if I did have a 800m mesh and a 40m size, when I looked at the mesh from inside the spacecraft, would I only see 40m of it around me?

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Yes, it was. I'll upload an updated mesh later tonight probably. I've managed to work out the animations on the ailerons, and next I'll probably try to work on the elevators/cockpit 'hatch'.

Usually geting info on ship size,COG,cross section with Shipedit,it could be found in orbitersdk,utils folder.Maybe there's are other way...but this is fine for me...:)
Most likely if you change size you need to again get a rotation point for animation...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I understand what you're saying (and I think I phrased my previous post badly), but if I did have a 800m mesh and a 40m size, when I looked at the mesh from inside the spacecraft, would I only see 40m of it around me?

Usually, you should see nothing of the spacecraft from inside. But that is another topic. ;)

Orbiter only renders a mesh in internal view, if it is flagged like that. For example as VC mesh.

Dambuster

Reaction score
liber, thank you! I had no idea that existed :cheers:

Usually, you should see nothing of the spacecraft from inside. But that is another topic. ;)

Orbiter only renders a mesh in internal view, if it is flagged like that. For example as VC mesh.

So...how would I best go about making a VC mesh?

EDIT: I just realised how INSANELY cool a VC could be for this ship :D :D

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice conversion...but I think is little to big...?!

I'm not familiar with this ship whatsoever. I just converted it to msh for Dambuster so he could see if it worked.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I would go with the correct vehicle size and then write a file for the Re-Entry effects plugin. I've done it several times and it works like a charm. You'll already be looking at the mesh in OMW or similar program so you'll have an easy time getting the locations on the mesh. That will solve any problems with re-entry effects not sizing properly.

Dambuster

Reaction score
Well it's coming along nicely so far, but I'm having troubles with the aerodynamic values in spacecraft3. I seem to be unable to get the nose up whilst trying to land at KSC. Any tips?

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Well it's coming along nicely so far, but I'm having troubles with the aerodynamic values in spacecraft3. I seem to be unable to get the nose up whilst trying to land at KSC. Any tips?

Add trim into configuration file and trim craft during landing...

TRIM=0.05

Key Insert and Delete

You will see it at left corner where are other info.

Dambuster

Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I said. I meant to say that as soon as I start a scenario which has me placed on a near-final approach into KSC, my velocity vector begins to sink. Whilst I can raise the nose to an extent, this appears to have no effect on the 'movement' of the velocity vector, and I can only ever keep the nose pointed ~10 degrees above the vector indicator.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

If someone who knows more about this than I could please read this briefly, and see if there are any glaring errors which might be causing what I described above, I'd be really grateful:

Code:
[CONFIG]
MESHNAME="Longsword2"
SIZE=1.930
FOCUS=1
VISIBLE=1
CAMERA=(-0.7837841,-0.8243225,26.37304)
EMPTY_MASS=151205
FUEL_MASS=600000
MAIN_THRUST=30000000
RETRO_THRUST=50000000
ATTITUDE_THRUST=1000000
ISP=750000
TRIM=0.05
PMI=(15.5,22.1,7.7)
CW_Z_POS=0.09
CW_Z_NEG=0.09
CW_X=2.0
CW_Y=1.4
CROSS_SECTION=(234.8,389.1,68.2)
COG=-1
PITCH_MOMENT_SCALE=0.00001
BANK_MOMENT_SCALE=0.00002
ROT_DRAG=(2,1,1)
WING_ASPECT=1
WING_EFFECTIVENESS=2.5
;ATT_TEX=Exhaust_atrcs
MAIN_PSTREAM1=DGContrail
MAIN_PSTREAM2=DGMain

[AERODYNAMICS]
; lift/drag attack point of the vertical airfoil
VAIRFOIL_ATTACK=(0,0,-4.6)
; wing chord length of the vertical airfoil
VAIRFOIL_CHORD=5
; wing area of the vertical airfoil
VAIRFOIL_AREA=300.8
; wing aspect ratio of the vertical airfoil
VAIRFOIL_ASPECT=1.5
; lift/drag attack point of the horizontal airfoil
HAIRFOIL_ATTACK=(0,-1.3,4)
; wing chord length of the horizontal airfoil
HAIRFOIL_CHORD=5
; wing area of the horizontal airfoil
HAIRFOIL_AREA=12
; wing aspect ratio of the horizontal airfoil
HAIRFOIL_ASPECT=1.5
; surface area of aileron
AILERON_AREA=20
; lift change of aileron
AILERON_LIFT=0.6
; lift/drag attack point of left aileron (right aileron deduced by x -> -x
AILERON_ATTACK=(20.9,-1.75,-2.75)
; reference to animation sequence for the left aileron
AILERON_RIGHT_ANIM=1
; reference to animation sequence for the right aileron
AILERON_LEFT_ANIM=0
; surface area of elevator
ELEVATOR_AREA=10.51
; lift change of elevator
ELEVATOR_LIFT=30
; lift/drag attack point of elevator
ELEVATOR_ATTACK=(0,0,-2.75)
; reference to animation sequence of elevator
;ELEVATOR_ANIM=3
; surface area of rudder
RUDDER_AREA=10.5
; lift change of rudder
RUDDER_LIFT=2
; lift/drag attack point of rudder
RUDDER_ATTACK=(0,0,-2.75)
; reference to animation sequence of rudder
;RUDDER_ANIM=2
ELEVATOR_TRIM_ATTACK=(0,0,-2.25)
ELEVATOR_TRIM_AREA=1.5
ELEVATOR_TRIM_LIFT=1
; speed brake maximum drag change
;SPEEDBRAKE_DRAG=1.5
; speed brake drag attack point
;SPEEDBRAKE_ATTACK=(0,0,-2);
; reference to animation sequence of speed brake
;SPEEDBRAKE_ANIM=6

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Size parameter is far too small. Size is about half the length of the vessel, or another dimension which is useful for describing it.

Dambuster

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I've just fixed that, but it isn't flying any better.

P.S. I know my values for the engine and retro rocket thrusts are TOTALLY whacked, but I did that just for laughs. I'll change it back later.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm pretty lazy when it comes to figuring out aerodynamics so nine times out of ten I use this:

[AERODYNAMICS]​
newMODEL : possible values are “shuttle”, “dglider” or “capsule”.

and use dglider for small vessels under 30m long. For the bigger stuff I use Shuttle.

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
I wouldent use the shuttle if I were you, tgep. the real shuttle is a flying brick and the default one is A FLYING TWO-STORY HOUSE Aerodynamic-wise...