Deep Space Radio Signals

Chipstone306

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good links to DS signals I can listen to ? Nasa web site has some great ones of some of the moons of jupiter.

here is my question...What would the signal strength have to be to get to and from mars All be it a useable signal :huh:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Since the moon is quite often on the opposite side of the Earth from Mars, that wouldn't make sense. In any case, if you can send a signal to the Moon you can send it to Mars just as easily. Keep in mind that when Earth and Mars are on opposite sides of the Sun you cannot send radio signals between the two.

Also, signals don't come from Jupiter's moons, they come from Jupiter itself, specifically its magnetic field creates them as the charged particles from the Sun pass into it. Earth's magnetic field creates similar signals, though less powerful. If you've ever turned the tuner on a shortwave radio you can hear them sometimes, very creepy alien-sounding noises.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good links to DS signals I can listen to ? Nasa web site has some great ones of some of the moons of jupiter.

here is my question...What would the signal strength have to be to get to and from mars All be it a useable signal :huh:
MRO uses 100W X-band and 35W Ka-band transmitters connected to a 3m directional dish. The Ka-band transmitter provides 6Mbps through DSN. It also has omni-directional antennas as a backup but I don't know what power they are.

For comparison, I think a typical CB radio has a power output of about 4W.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For comparison, I think a typical CB radio has a power output of about 4W.

Actually in many times even less, most stations you can buy for free are limited to 1W here. For more you need special licenses.

A mobile phone for example has a maximum power of around 2W and is limited in range to about 25 km by its protocol, but can be received by the mobile phones antenna in dry weather from distances up to 50 km away.

Important is the ratio between emission power and the minimum signal the receiver can pick. The DSN has very good cryo-cooled receivers, which have very little thermal noise.

Chipstone306

Reaction score
I am going to try to find some links to deep space sounds and post here tomorrow thanks for the info guy! I checked the prices on some equipment ..... a lot out of a paramedics salary:(