Updates Boeing's CST-100 Starliner

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Only a few hours left (hopefully) until they light the candle and make history once again. Good that I don't have to work tonight 🚀

Nice choice of the crew and backup. Still smells like STS 👌 Just realised recently that Suni Williams actually looks like my Mom (both, old and young) 😲 I sent her a link and she was "shocked" as well (just 5 years difference). I call her Astro Mom since 😅 She likes it though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, will rather in the middle of the European night, 2AM Berlin time. I can't watch it, have another doctor appointment in the morning.

Don't mess with doctors, they form packs!

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Well, will rather in the middle of the European night, 2AM Berlin time. I can't watch it, have another doctor appointment in the morning.

:rolleyes:😅

Well, good luck then Sir! At least you can watch the videos of it tomorrow.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Actually, 4:31 am CEST. EDT is CEST-6 so 10:34 pm EDT translates into 4:31 am CEST the next day, in this case May 7.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
By the way, first time since Mercury that humans launch atop an Atlas LV :hailprobe:

Ascent Abort Landing Zone Considerations:

• Wave height below 4 meters (13.1 ft)
• Surface wind below 27 knots (13.9 m/s)
• No thunderstorms within abort landing area
• No lightning within abort landing area

Launch Weather Constraints:

• Wind at the launchpad exceeds 61 kilometers per hour; 38 miles per hour (33 kn)
• Upper-level conditions containing wind shear that could lead to control problems for the launch vehicle
• Cloud layer greater than 1,400 meters (4,500 ft) thick that extends into freezing temperatures
• Cumulus clouds with tops that extend into freezing temperatures within 5 to 10 miles (8.0 to 16.1 km)
• 19 kilometers (10 nmi) of the edge of a thunderstorm that is producing lightning, for 30 minutes after the last lightning is observed
• Field mill instrument readings within 9.3 kilometers (5 nmi) of the launch pad or the flight path exceeds plus or minus 1,500 volts per meter, for 15 minutes after they occur
• Thunderstorm anvil is within 19 kilometers (10 nmi) of the flight path
• Thunderstorm debris cloud is within 5.6 kilometers (3 nmi) or fly through a debris cloud for three hours
• Launch prohibition through disturbed weather that has clouds that extend into freezing temperatures and contain moderate or greater precipitation, or launch within 9.3 kilometers (5 nmi) of disturbed weather adjacent to the flight path
• Launch prohibition through cumulus clouds formed as the result of or directly attached to a smoke plume
• Starliner unique precipitation restriction, No-Go if precipitation is within plus or minus 2 nautical miles (3.7 km) of the flight path

Source: https://www.boeing.com/space/starliner/launch/documents/Starliner_Notebook.pdf

Last prediction I've heard was 92% chance for a go, as far as the weather is concerned.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Prelaunch Timeline:

L-6:00:00 Atlas V cryo load
L-4:00:00 Atlas V cryo load complete / stable configuration
L-4:30:00 Crew suit-up begins
L-4:04:00 T-4 minute hold begins
L-3:20:00 Crew suit-up complete / departs for launch pad
L-3:10:00 Crew Module preps begin
L-2:50:00 Crew arrives for insertion
L-1:20:00 Hatch closure complete
L-0:50:00 Cabin leak checks / cabin pressurization complete
L-0:35:00 Crew space to ground communication checks
L-0:22:00 Flight Director Poll: Go for terminal count
L-0:20:00 Crew visors configured for launch
L-0:18:00 Starliner poll for terminal count
L-0:18:00 Starliner to internal power
L-0:11:00 Crew access arm retracted
L-0:07:00 Atlas V launch vehicle poll for terminal count
L-0:07:00 Starliner configured for terminal count
L-0:05:00 Starliner configured for ascent
L-0:04:00 T-4 minute hold releases
L-0:00:00 Atlas V / Starliner crew launch

Source: https://blogs.nasa.gov/boeing-crew-...ng-crew-flight-test-atlas-v-fueling-underway/

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know it's the hundredth launch for Atlas V.

Launch Weather Officer reports 95% go for the weather, for now. The only concern is the potential buildup of cumulus clouds.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Boeing obviously is using the quindar tones again for voice communication with Starliner (or rather with the close-out crew inside) 👌