Updates Boeing's CST-100 Starliner

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Centaur LOX valve anomaly is the cause of the scrub. This was an issue that was worked earlier in the count but apparently not solved and they may have to roll back to VIF if hardware changeout is required (no vehicle access at the pad, any hands on troubleshooting always requires roll back to the VIF).

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
It's frustrating on one hand. On the other hand, better say "no go" than losing a vehicle + crew. I can't even count how many scrubs we have seen on the Shuttle.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Centaur LOX Fill/Drain valve is the valve in question that caused tonight's scrub. Also sounds like they're troubleshooting an SRB Safe&Arm device issue as well.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am glad that my prayers to Anoia had been heard. Got a nice sleep, watched the highlights of the livestream, got the news that my heart is perfectly fine (but a tiny millimeter larger as normal. Well, the heart beats left.).

Friday sounds perfectly fine to me. Herd the chicks home, do some powernapping, watch a launch, let the chicks out. Mike Hansen could do that better.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
I am glad that my prayers to Anoia had been heard. Got a nice sleep, watched the highlights of the livestream, got the news that my heart is perfectly fine (but a tiny millimeter larger as normal. Well, the heart beats left.).

Friday sounds perfectly fine to me. Herd the chicks home, do some powernapping, watch a launch, let the chicks out. Mike Hansen could do that better.
I am in hope for next Monday to Wednesday. It's three days off for me. Congratulations by the way (y)

But it was nice only watching the suit checks, the ingress and egress, the new team and the "new" location, even with a scrub.

2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, it is something new, I remember when a manned Atlas V was just a colorful CAD drawing and now its getting real.

Also, you can see many differences to SpaceX there, it all looks more practical.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Yeah, it is something new, I remember when a manned Atlas V was just a colorful CAD drawing and now its getting real.

Also, you can see many differences to SpaceX there, it all looks more practical.
Yeah. I think Musk is more in favour of tourism and colonization, which isn't bad. But I personally like the more "conservative" and machinery design for supporting exploration and science. I also like how stuff from Apollo and the Shuttle made it into Starliner, like the capsule's design or the TPS obviously (not the base but the cone I would guess). It just looks like a classic NASA vehicle, inside and outside. The control and display console is also nice, especially in combination with that big window next to the commander's seat. Must be awesome during launch, but also during entry...

Seems to be a very smooth ride and touchdown. Even Snoopy seems to enjoy it.

And I think in the capsule it actually sounds like in the Apollo CM:

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
That should actually be an example for our railway workshop. If they would maintain trains with that philosophy, there would barely be significant train cancellations. Right now, if trains were rockets, no rocket would actually ever (be allowed to) fly. Heck, in the 21st century they don't even manage to repair a clogged toilet onboard...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The "In space, there is no such thing as a second chance" motivational poster of the Gemini program could likely fit well into your workshop as well. 😉