Addons

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
What made all of you addon developers want to make addons?

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I saw a need for something I was doing and decided to release it to the rest of the community. My first addon was a simple Solar Service Module similar to Zarya or Zvezda, but without propulsion. I built that more as a test than anything. The next thing I built the Solar Truss Module was because there was no solar truss addon that allowed continuous trusses to be built on stations like I was builidng at the time.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I took over TransX because it wasn't doing some of the things that I wanted it to do. I'm a software engineer in the real world, so that made it easy. Created LaunchCompassMFD because it was relatively easy for me, and there were some people asking for it. Joined enjo working on LaunchMFD because there wasn't a decent generic pitch program and thought that it would make a good addition to the orbiter addons

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
I wanted a ship that didn't exist. So I made it.

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My addons have been strictly cosmetic, but it's been a lot of fun! I've learned a lot by trying to teach myself how to use GIMP. I also enjoy flying cool looking craft. I'm getting to the point where I may offer to customize certain ships, such as DGIV and XR-1, based on user requests.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I started when there were little if no add-ons, so it was a matter of getting something other than the stock Delta Glider. There was no Shuttle PB or Cargo.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I could not post my reason on the the first post because I was rushing to go to school, but, I decided to pursue making addons because I wanted to get good at it and make really good addons and be known.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
For me it was really an accident.

For years I've wanted to play with autoCAD or some sort of 3d software to create some scene studies for the fiction I've been writing. My dilemma has been the tech at my disposal - school, employment, student loans, etc., has meant that if I didn't build a computer myself, I've had to pick up a cheap obsolete one.

I discovered Anim8or about 3 weeks before I discovered Orbiter.

It was an opportunity I hadn't dared dream of! It's the sim I've waited for since the Gemini program. Now I can make these sets, and then play with them in a real-time simulator environment.

And I can potlatch them to anyone interested when I'm done!

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I am glad we have some dedicated people here.

no matter

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pagesperso-orange.fr
After having modified for myself many things on some addons already existing, I eventually managed to make my own addons.
It was at the start of Mustard's site sharing all the french speaking community addons, so I decided to release them there.

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I don't develop add-ons, but have done skins for DanSteph's awesome DGIV and Prelude station. I do it to show appreciation to all of the people that make Orbiter such a great community. For 99.6% of us, this is as close as we will get to going into space. I certainly appreciate the programming skills of the very dedicated programmers who put countless hours of time in effort into ships, textures, and utilities. They rarely complain and they receive little compensation for their awesome work.