ACME Test

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I'm still experimenting with the timing of the release. Anywhere on the low side of the flinger's orbit will toss you out to the moon's orbit, it's just a question of how close the moon is when you get there. Do you have any suggestions? When the scenario starts, the flinger is already slightly past its Pe. Is it better to release as soon as you're pointing down, or wait an orbit until you're at or on the other side of Pe?
The scenario is designed so you release as soon as you are pointing down, ie, one half rotation after the scenario starts. If you wait an orbit, you will miss the plane of the moon.

My technique is to jump into the DG, load up AttitudeMFD in Velocity mode and wait until you pitch is +90.0 then release (Ctrl-D). To get the release accurate, set your MFD update frequency to 0.1sec and slow down time accel to 0.1x when you get to about +87deg.

I have tweaked the scenario so that you can get a direct hit on the moon (see below). Also see image of me passing 12km over the moon after only a single 6.6m/s mid-course burn (to stop me hitting the surface!).

Attachments

• ACME Lunar Intercept - Direct Hit.scn
    803 bytes · Views: 44
  • DG_Moon.jpg
    DG_Moon.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 53

Bullethead

Reaction score
Website
www.stormeaglestudios.com
The scenario is designed so you release as soon as you are pointing down, ie, one half rotation after the scenario starts. If you wait an orbit, you will miss the plane of the moon.

Gotcha ;).

I have tweaked the scenario so that you can get a direct hit on the moon (see below).

Damn if you don't! Good shot :). You must have been in the artillery.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
If the neolithic hack works this well, I'd say the cislunar transport system's going to be an incredibly sweet platform!

To the Moon and back again with bare minimal propellant use!