Sun-Synchronous Orbit Around Mars

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
(For the Non-Mathematician) :hide:

How would I go about putting a vessel into sun-synchronous orbit around Mars? :idk:

I just flew a less-than-5-minute-mission with a Legacy DG Mk. III for you and the answer is a highly elliptical polar orbit (my Ecc. was ~ 0.42).

Ajaja

Reaction score
How would I go about putting a vessel into sun-synchronous orbit around Mars? :idk:
Look at "Example: calculate the inclination for a sun-synchronous polar orbit" in Doc\Technotes\gravity.pdf.
Mars sun-synchronous polar orbits with ecc=0:
Alt=100km; Incl=95.75deg.
Alt=200km; Incl=96.09deg.
Alt=300km; Incl=96.44deg.
Alt=400km; Incl=96.79deg.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There's an easy way to do that without having to dig into Maths.

What's a geosynchronous orbit ? It's a near-circular orbit, with an equatorial inclination near 0°, and with T = sidereal day ( 86164 seconds).

Geos means "Earth", in ancient Greek.

So, a "marsynchronous" orbit would use the same principles. For that, we need to know the duration of a sideral day on Mars. Thanks Wikipedia :

"The average length of a Martian [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereal_day"]sidereal day[/ame] is 24h 37m 22.663s"

23 seconds will be ok, we don't need that much precision !

24*3600+37*60+23 = 88643 seconds

Now search for a circular (Ecc ~= 0), equatorial (Inc(ref EQU) ~= 0) orbit around Mars with T = 88643 sec.

That should work, unless I missed something obvious, which is possible :lol:

Edit : obviously, I didn't read carefully enough the topic, which was about Sun-synchronous orbit :beathead:

Edit2 : replace "marsynchronous" by "areosynchronous". It makes sense : Ares was the Greek god of War (Mars was the Roman one).

Last edited:

krashkart

Heliosynchronous Debris Field
Reaction score
Look at "Example: calculate the inclination for a sun-synchronous polar orbit" in Doc\Technotes\gravity.pdf.
Mars sun-synchronous polar orbits with ecc=0:
Alt=100km; Incl=95.75deg.
Alt=200km; Incl=96.09deg.
Alt=300km; Incl=96.44deg.
Alt=400km; Incl=96.79deg.

Thank you, Ajaja. I'll kludge together a scenario and give it a whirl. :tiphat:

Edit : obviously, I didn't read carefully enough the topic, which was about Sun-synchronous orbit :beathead:

It's all good. You earned an A+ for effort. :thumbup: [EDIT] Actually, now that I think of it you may have just helped with another thing I'd been thinking about. :lol:

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
So, a "marsynchronous" orbit would use the same principles.
FWIW, the prefix "areo-" is normally used for the Mars equivalent of "geo-", eg, "areosynchronous". Mars is the Roman god of war, Ares is the Greek god of war and "geo-" comes from the Greek for Earth. Likewise "selen-" is used for the Moon, eg, "selenography".

krashkart

Heliosynchronous Debris Field
Reaction score
Okee-doke, launched a DG from Olympus base on a heading of 345 and it will be hitting ~400km in twenty minutes or so. It wasn't a perfect launch but I managed equatorial inclination of 98.71 on this first try. :)

Took off to the great white north...
picture.php

With enough practice I'll nail the inclination the first time every time. :cheers:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
With enough practice I'll nail the inclination the first time every time. :cheers:
I recommend [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2802"]Launch MFD - v 1.3.3 BETA for Orbiter 2010[/ame] for that.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
If you have Orbiter installed, it is in the Doc folder.

Assuming your installation folder is called "Orbiter", it is in
Orbiter\Doc\Technotes\gravity.pdf

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Don't forget to check the box Parameters > Perturbations > Nonspherical gravity sources
(because Sun-synchronous orbits are permitted by the fact that Mars, like Earth, is not spherical)