Dragon fly

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Tutorials on the Dragon fly? Isn't the dragonfly a space tug? So I think it flys (floats, whatever:)) like a regular ship, only using attitude thrusters, no main thruster or hover thruster.
There is a .pdf in the doc folder labeled; 'Dragonfly Operations Handbook' look in there for the checklists and things.
But what do you mean tutorial? If I may ask, for what? :) what did you want to do?:)

:cheers:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Chipstone306:

Bj is right...the add-on includes the manual. But no tutorial.

Not to hijack the thread :threadjacked: but:

Anybody considered creating a replacement for the Dragonfly?

[prepares for flame war]

Chipstone306

Reaction score
GET AWAY FROM MY THREAD! :hunter:

LOL

Yes I did go thru the pdf's I am having trouble with thrust and docking still
I found the panels hard to read as well.Maybe a replacement is needed?:huh:

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Replacement meaning a dragon fly with the same capabilities it has now, but without the confusing panels and systems?

Ursus

Rocket Tinker
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well... the Dragonfly code is included with the Orbiter SDK, so it could be more of an update or branch than a replacement...

So, when are y'all going to get started? ;)

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
GET AWAY FROM MY THREAD! :hunter:

LOL

Yes I did go thru the pdf's I am having trouble with thrust and docking still
I found the panels hard to read as well.Maybe a replacement is needed?:huh:

With the Dragonfly docked to something, the combined center of mass is different, so it handles differently. As so it should.

Panel redesign is a good idea - some of the tiny displays need to be larger, IMO.

If those pesky fuel cells could be as reliable as the APUs in the Delta Gliders...

If my programming skills were up to speed, I wouldn't suggest...I'd fix it.:sorry:

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am thinking of the panels and cockpit views. Better paneling and dials would make it a lot easier

#1 How are cockpit view gonna make it easier?
#2 The vessel is complicated because it simulates realistic systems.
It already has excellent dials and panels. The only way to make it
easier to handle is to take out the simulation of systems. Changing
panels and cockpit views isn't going to make it easier.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Well, if you want to cheat, there is DragonflyMadeEasy.zip available at Orbit Hanger. I tried it out, but ended up removing it because I kind of like the complexity of the Dragonfly. I think it offers up a certain realism (though hypothetical) that's really nice.

In fact, in my video of the bondVaga space station, all but one of my shots was done using the Dragonfly.

Practice and patience are the keys to figuring out this craft.

I'm actually thinking about doing a craft based on the design, but I want to go with either ion or plasma thrusters and origami styled folding solar panels to power the thing.

Reactions: Tex

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I find the Dragonfly to be quite a nice little craft. I think its best feature is the CoG compensator.
As for the panels and systems, all you really have to know is how to power on the fuel cells. Once those are powered, you're good to go with everything. Even so, everything still works, just not the CoG compensator, or extra display panels.
BTW-if you're thinking about creating a new DF, I'd recommend going with a similar systems simulation as the current DF/DFLite.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
BTW-if you're thinking about creating a new DF, I'd recommend going with a similar systems simulation as the current DF/DFLite.

That would the same as what we've already got. Ususally when one makes another variation on something, one does it differently because they didn't like something about the old one. Even with today's technology, the fuel cells could be managed with something as simple as a button, a voltmeter, and a couple of fuel gauges, and be much more realistic. Of course there would be a circut board behind the scenes in a real vessel, but you can then gloss over that in the code.

Reactions: Tex

Imagineer

Reaction score
#1 How are cockpit view gonna make it easier?
#2 The vessel is complicated because it simulates realistic systems.
It already has excellent dials and panels. The only way to make it
easier to handle is to take out the simulation of systems. Changing
panels and cockpit views isn't going to make it easier.

I would suggest three things:
1) Increase the panel contrast ratio. Make it white letters on a dark gray or black panel. Then edge-light it. (Edge lighting is standard practice in avionics panels. It makes the white letters appear luminous in the dark). Make it more apparent when the little round circuit breakers are tripped.
2) Increase the MTBF between fuel cell failures.
3) A kill relative velocity switch along side the kill rotation switch.

When I'm flying it the overall impression is a cockpit lit with red lights. Maybe a "light switch" which turns on white panel lights is all it needs?

-- Imagineer

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What about developing a VC version of the Dragonfly? Include UMMU? I like its current style, it is very functional and realistic. Also the red light is a matter of taste - I would prefer blue lights in a non-combat vehicle. :p

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
What about developing a VC version of the Dragonfly? Include UMMU? I like its current style, it is very functional and realistic. Also the red light is a matter of taste - I would prefer blue lights in a non-combat vehicle. :p

Yes! I hadn't even considered blue instead of red. Great idea Urwumpe, and one I'm going to incorporate into my ion-tug.

Thanks!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would also suggest that any new DF-type tug should also be Space Shuttle compatible. Station-building was what the STS was originally made for in the first place; a reusable, servicable space tug is a natural fit. The current DF is just a tad too big for the STS payload bay, someone even made a smaller version for this reason.